SET UP YOUR HOME OFFICE FOR MAXIMUM PRODUCTIVITY
You’re a busy woman!
An entrepreneur working on your side hustle, perhaps a wife and a mom.....and maybe even working a full-time job too!
When you sit down to work, you want to take advantage of every second you’ve got!
Here’s the best way to set up your home office so you are knocking out projects in half the time.
First, know your productivity style
Are you a piler or a filer?
In my productivity trainings, I learned about 2 categories of organization.
Someone who likes to see everything out in the open.
Someone who likes all things tucked away and they will tend to remember where it is.
Take the home office productivity quiz below to find out which home office set-up works best for you with tips on how to set-up.
Personally, I’m more of a piler, so I like to see where my papers are. Which is why my central inbox station (more on that below) I use hanging wall folders that I can easily see.
Second, you have got to have a central system where things come in and things go out.
Similar to the GTD (Getting Things Done) system by David Allen
The 4 folders I have on my wall:
1) INBOX/MAIL: Everything that comes into your office. From mail to permission slips that need to be signed
2) OUTBOX: Stuff you need to take out of the house. Mail that needs to go out. Smaller items that need to go back to the store, etc.
3) REFERENCE: Place items you know you will need at a later time. Going to a concert next month and need to bring the tickets? Place them here and you’ll know just where to look when it’s time to go.
4) TO FILE: This is where I stash all things that need to be filed. I only file things on a monthly basis.
Ok, you’ve got all these folders, now what?
Weekly: Go through your INBOX and sort through everything. Put it in the appropriate spots: trash it, file it, reference it, send it to the outbox.
Third, It’s got to be inviting and comfortable
1) Attractive file folders will just be begging for you to actually use them vs. something to “get to someday”
2) Comfortable seating and computer set-up
3) Motivational quotes and inspirational images
4) Everything needs to have a home. Stapler, paper, binders all need to have their specific place.
5) Fill your office space with the colors and images that make you feel good!
Take the home office productivity quiz to find out which home office set-up works best for you.
Hey there. Welcome! As a productivity & Business Strategist I help entrepreneurs like you, find the time to grow your business without the overwhelm, so there is more time for what matters most . xoxo